- You’ll need a 30cm round cake board.
- 2 x 340g packets golden buttercake mix or 2 quantities Homemade buttercake (see related recipe)
Fluffy meringue frosting
- 8 eggwhites
- 4 cups caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blue, green, yellow, orange, pink and red food colourings
- 1/2 teaspoon 100s and 1000s
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease three 7cm-deep, 20cm (base) round cake pans or three 4cm-deep, 20cm base round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Prepare 1 packet cake mix following packet directions, or 1 homemade cake. Divide batter between 3 bowls. Tint 1 portion blue, 1 portion green and remaining portion yellow. Spread 1 portion into 1 prepared cake pan. Repeat with remaining 2 portions and prepared pans. Smooth surfaces. Bake for 25 minutes, rotating halfway during cooking, or until cooked through. Stand cakes in pans for 5 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool completely. Wash and dry cake pans. Grease and line with baking paper. Repeat with remaining cake mix and food colourings.
- Make frosting: Place eggwhites, vanilla, sugar and 1/4 cup cold water in a large heatproof bowl. Whisk to combine. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Using an electric hand mixer, beat eggwhite mixture for 15 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Remove bowl from heat. Beat until cooled.
- Place blue cake on board. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with green cake. Repeat with remaining frosting and yellow, pink, orange and red cakes, using 1/2 cup frosting for each layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and side of cake. Sprinkle with 100s and 1000s. Serve.